Physical medicine and Rehabilitation
Physical medicine and Rehabilitation
The Physical & Rehabilitation Therapy Department’s goal is to enhance and restore functional ability and quality of life to those with functional limitation due to diseases or disorders. With a team of physiotherapists, occupational therapists, speech and language therapists, rehabilitation nurses, clinical psychologists and dietitians, we customize the treatment plans for each of our patients.
We offer the following services:
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation (CR) is a branch of rehabilitation medicine or physical therapy dealing with optimizing physical function in patients with cardiac disease or recent cardiac surgeries.
- Chest physiotherapy & cardiopulmonary care
- Cardio-respiratory physiotherapy aims to help clear lung secretions, prevent or improve areas of lung collapse and reduce the effort of breathing. … It may also be useful in children with an acute respiratory illness or following surgery, especially when ventilation is required on an
- Functional capacity evaluation
- A functional capacity evaluation (FCE) is set of tests, practices and observations that are combined to determine the ability of the evaluated person to function in a variety of circumstances, most often employment, in an objective manner.
- Lymphoedema care of women with breast cancer
- The recommended treatment for lymphoedema is decongestive lymphatic therapy (DLT). DLT isn’t a cure for lymphoedema, but it can help control the symptoms. Although it takes time and effort, the treatment can be used to bring lymphoedema under control.
- Musculo-skeletal rehabilitation of upper & lower limbs
- Musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) are conditions that affect the nerves, tendons, muscles and supporting structures, such as the discs in your back. They result from one or more of these tissues having to work harder than they’re designed to.
- Neurological rehabilitation
- Neurological rehabilitation (rehab) is a doctor-supervised program designed for people with diseases, injury, or disorders of the nervous system. Neurological rehab can often improve function, reduce symptoms, and improve the well-being of the patient.
- Osteoporosis exercise program
- Exercise plays an important role in building and maintaining bone strength. Just like muscles, bones respond when they are stressed, in other words, when they are forced to bear more weight than they are used to. This can be achieved by weight bearing or impact exercises.
- Postnatal rehabilitation
- Postnatal rehabilitation helps new mothers to recover effectively following pregnancy and delivery. Provided by therapists specialised in women’s health, postnatal rehabilitation enables mothers to return to enjoying a happy, healthy lifestyle with their family.
- Pre-natal exercise program
- In fact, studies show that exercise may help reduce the risk of miscarriage, cesarean section, pre-term birth, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, and excessive weight gain. Just how it works isn’t clearly understood, but Linda May, PhD, an exercise researcher at East Carolina University, says it may be a combination of exercise-induced anti-inflammatory and antioxidant factors, as well as the release of certain hormones.
- Spinal rehabilitation
- spinal cord injury (SCI) is the injury of the spinal cord from the foramen magnum to the cauda equina which occurs as a result of compulsion, incision or contusion. The most common causes of SCI in the world are traffic accidents, gunshot injuries, knife injuries, falls and sports injuries. There is a strong relationship between functional status and whether the injury is complete or not complete, as well as the level of the injury. The results of SCI bring not only damage to independence and physical function, but also include many complications from the injury. Neurogenic bladder and bowel, urinary tract infections, pressure ulcers, orthostatic hypotension, fractures, deep vein thrombosis, spasticity, autonomic dysreflexia, pulmonary and cardiovascular problems, and depressive disorders are frequent complications after SCI. SCI leads to serious disability in the patient resulting in the loss of work, which brings psychosocial and economic problems. The treatment and rehabilitation period is long, expensive and exhausting in SCI. Whether complete or incomplete, SCI rehabilitation is a long process that requires patience and motivation of the patient and relatives. Early rehabilitation is important to prevent joint contractures and the loss of muscle strength, conservation of bone density, and to ensure normal functioning of the respiratory and digestive system. An interdisciplinary approach is essential in rehabilitation in SCI, as in the other types of rehabilitation. The team is led by a physiatrist and consists of the patients’ family, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, dietician, psychologist, speech therapist, social worker and other consultant specialists as necessary.
- Sports injury prevention & rehabilitation
- Nearly two million people every year suffer sports-related injuries and receive treatment in emergency departments. Fatigue is a large contributing factor that results in many sport injuries. There are times where an athlete may participate on low energy leading to the deterioration in technique or form, resulting in a slower reaction time, loss in stability of muscle joints, and allowing an injury to occur. For both sexes the most common areas injured are the knee and ankle, with sprains/strains being the most common areas for injury. Injuries involving the patellofemoral articulation are significantly more frequent among females. The sport with the highest injury rate is football, with greater than 12 times the number of injuries seen in the next most common sport.
- Manual therapy
- Manual therapy, or manipulative therapy, is a physical treatment primarily used by physical therapists, physiotherapists to treat musculoskeletal pain and disability; it most includes kneading and manipulation of muscles, joint mobilization and joint manipulation, or manipulative therapy, is a physical treatment primarily used by physical therapists, physiotherapists to treat musculoskeletal pain and disability; it most includes kneading and manipulation of muscles, joint mobilization and joint manipulation
- Dry Needling
- Dry needling is an invasive procedure where a fine needle or acupuncture needle is inserted into the skin and muscle. It is aimed at myofascial trigger points which are hyperirritable spots in skeletal muscle that are associated with a hypersensitive palpable nodule in a taut band.
- The Kinesio Taping Method is a definitive rehabilitative taping technique that is designed to facilitate the body’s natural healing process while providing support and stability to muscles and joints without restricting the body’s range of motion as well as providing extended soft tissue manipulation to prolong the benefits of manual therapy administered within the clinical setting
- Trigger points therapy
- Trigger point therapy is an alternative therapy, the benefits of which include a focus on detecting and releasing trigger points. Located in the skeletal muscle, trigger points are spots that produce pain when compressed. In many cases, trigger points form as a result of trauma to the muscle fibers.
- Paraffin Bath
- Wax therapy, which uses a bath of molten paraffin wax, is one of the most effective ways of applying heat to improve mobility by warming the connective tissues. Wax therapy is mainly used on your hands and is often used by hand therapists in a hospital setting along with an exercise programme. You can also get advice on where to purchase wax baths privately.The aims of wax bath therapy are to provide pain relief and comfort, to assist with muscle relaxation and to relieve stiffness and help improve movement before exercise.
- Geriatrik rehabilitation
- Essential to geriatric rehabilitation is communication, specifically improving any sensory impairment, including those related to vision and hearing. The prevention of falls and osteoporosis can protect the patient’s health and improve longevity
Our Professional Team
Awesome Doctors for Medical and Health